Sunday 12 October 2014

Yorkshire Marathon

Pushed myself way out of my comfort zone for the Yorkshire Marathon today. Although I was racing in the corporate relay and so not doing the whole 26.2 miles, my 6 mile leg very quickly turned into a 10 mile roll through the fog, as I reached my Passover point and my team mate was nowhere to be found! There were a few hairy moments, concerning some slippy pushrims on a wet up hill, a fast downhill into a sharp bend (I of course, ended in a bush) and fog so thick I could barely see my front wheel. But it was all for a great cause and little by little, I'm working my way up to the longer distances and building my confidence in road racing. It'll still be a few years until you see me do the full thing though! Big congrats to Bret Crossley who won the wheelchair race, to my crazy relay team mate, Danny Mills who carried on after his 5 mile leg to complete the full marathon, and of course everyone who ran today. For whatever cause or reason, you raised thousands and it was incredible to sit on the finish line and see streams of people with so much passion and emotion. I love you, Yorkshire. (Fyi, My team mate was on the toilet).